Our world today is constantly connected. With technology literally at our fingertips – being ‘online’ has become a way of life. In fact, digital marketing isn’t the ‘next’ big thing – it’s already here! This relatively new industry is experiencing exponential growth which opens up many opportunities if you’re seeking a career in digital marketing. And what’s more, digital marketing has become a cornerstone of a company’s overall marketing strategy – so simply put – a digital marketer is in high demand.
If you haven’t quite decided which career route in digital marketing you want to take, that’s okay. This article will cover some careers that are the most popular in digital marketing. It’s also a really great start to complete a digital marketing course so that you have a solid background and full understanding of the many aspects that make up digital marketing.
Why choose a career in digital marketing?
As the entire world becomes digitally connected more and more each day, there can be no doubt that a career in digital marketing is a great choice. The number of businesses that don’t have an online presence these days is diminishing – which is great news for a digital marketer. You’ll always be in demand. Almost every business needs to create an online presence to just stay in business, let alone to grow and prosper.
Many elements make up digital marketing. As digital marketing continues to grow so too do the many parts of what makes up digital marketing.
It’s comforting to know that there are many reasons why the demand for a digital marketer continues to grow. So, let’s take a look at the main reasons this is so.
- E-commerce popularity – The convenience and ease of making purchases online is second to none. Busy lives are becoming busier and more consumers are enjoying this comfort. The number of e-commerce sites is mushrooming. You can buy almost anything online these days therefore a career in the complex world of e-commerce is a solid choice.
- Number of people online rising – With more brands finding digital platforms a better way of advertising, the number of people online is rising daily. Digital marketing professionals have practically guaranteed job opportunities.
- Cost-effectiveness – Advertising has traditionally been seen as a costly grudge expenditure. Digital marketing has changed all that. More businesses are snapping up the chance to market their brand online as it’s one of the most cost-effective methods of advertising.
The different roles within the digital marketing sphere
So, we’ve established that there are plentiful opportunities for a digital marketer and choosing a career in this industry is a wise choice.
But what job possibilities exist in digital marketing? Three are a wide range of career routes you could take, so let’s take a closer look at the possibilities.
- Content creator – Captivating online content is not a fad. Great content is not about to fade into the background. Therefore, being able to create engaging, informative and eye-catching content is a sought after skill in digital marketing. Remember, content is ‘still’ king.
- SEO specialist – Search engine optimisation has become quite a complex skill. Optimising a website so that it appears on the first page of the search engine results pages is key. This role is constantly evolving; therefore, an SEO specialist needs to keep up to date with new trends, tips and techniques.
- Social media marketer – The popularity of social media continues to skyrocket. Almost every brand has a profile on at least one of the social media platforms.
- Email marketing – Email marketing has been around for a while, yet it remains a very effective form of digital marketing.
- Inbound marketing – As the world becomes more digitally focussed, it’s important that brands retain a certain human element to their digital marketing. Personal engagement is vital for a career in inbound marketing.
- E-commerce specialist – Shoppers just love the convenience of making purchases online. E-commerce has become big business.
- PPC marketing – Google Ads is a must in any digital marketing strategy, therefore pay-per-click (PPC) marketing know-how is crucial. Understanding the metrics is a sought after skill.
- Digital analyst – Every digital marketing campaign needs analysing. Understanding the results of a campaign is key to developing ongoing digital marketing strategies.