According to the International Mathematics and Science Study (a test of achievement set by politicians and educators around the world), Singaporean students are globally the most successful in mathematics and science.
Singaporean mathematics is considered to have very high standards around the world, both in terms of its curriculum and how the subject is dealt with in exams. This is especially due to the fact that the Singapore Ministry of Education worked hard to develop an effective education system at the end of the last century. It was education, in particular, mathematics, that helped all industries, including economy, of the country to rise, strengthen and scale in a fairly short period of time.
Nowadays, the curriculum has shifted to the Internet and implemented in the e-Learning ecosystem. Singapore math online curriculum like this has become one of the most sought after educational systems around the world.
If you are still in doubt about the choice between eSingapore math and other curriculum, let’s take a look at 5 main reasons for choosing the first one.
- In-depth curriculum. Students don’t just learn how to solve equations and problems to find an answer, but also how the equations work. They should use physical objects and a hands-on approach to understand mathematical concepts, which is much more effective than memorizing tables and formulas. The system is also designed to find their own solutions by students, regardless of the complexity and standard of known approaches. This applies not only to math problems, but also to logic, philosophy, critical thinking and modeling, which are also included in the eSingapore math program. Interactive learning lessons designed for both individual and group practices.
- Layered strategies build on each other. In the Singapore curriculum, one skill set is the base for future lessons, contrary to a spiral system where material is revised over months or years, what is often annoying for both teachers and students and became a reason of time loose. By staying on each section little longer than in standard curricula, eSingapore math teachers strive to achieve the most thorough study of the material, which eliminates the need to repeat it over and over again. Students, in turn, are interested in studying in this order, because the gaps are the direct evidences of poor performance, moreover, there is no possibility of revise the materials in the future.
- Complex assessment. Exams tend to be difficult mainly when Singaporean curriculum combined with standard one and due to the fact that it will make students think much more critically. Practice is in the list of exam routine as well: students are encouraged to recall and relate concepts, analyze problems, and find solutions. All of these skills develop over time, so patience is required. For those who started to study with this system a long time ago, it will not be so difficult to pass the exams, because these students took mini-exams at the end of certain blocks of topics regularly (see the next paragraph).
- Progress tracking. The ability to track the progress even a case of self-study at home is one of the most important benefits of the program. As mentioned in the previous point, this allows students to adapt to a specific exam system, as well as to keep abreast of their achievements at every stage of the learning process. Placement test designed according to step-by-step evaluation approach which match to related curriculum part. So, if there is a decrease in productivity for a specific block, students can stop the process and revise topics they failed. This corresponds to the fundamental principle of the eSingapore math system – don’t move on until you master and pass current pieces of curriculum.
- Self-study and self-assessment options. The opportunity of independent study from a very early age creates an additional competitive advantage for future specialists. Of course, when it comes to children, self-study means a process with minimal involvement of parents and teachers. They only help children to get the correct perception of the material and control their progress and motivation/engagement status. Self-study and self-assessment abilities are essential not only for school but for whole life. A critical analysis of different cases, personal unbiased opinion, a quick reaction and making the right decision are must-have for every person wants to survive and succeed in the post-pandemic era.
There are so many reasons why eSingapore math has gained prominence in recent years and has attracted such global attention. The above are just 5 of them. With the growing interest about Singaporean mathematics curriculum e-platform has proven to be a more useful, efficient and cost-effective method compared to the traditional in-person meetings.
The choice of this curriculum depends on many factors related to perception, initial math talents, motivation for online learning, and many other factors. Therefore, decision should be made exclusively on an individual basis. For those who hesitate about the future, probably, it’s one of the most profitable long-term investments of money, energy and time.
Leave a Reply