The invention of the world wide web has changed how our society functions. From healthcare to finance, the internet has revolutionized every industry. However, the educational sector has had the most radical change in recent times. In the last few years, educationists moved from traditional classrooms towards online education. It was inevitable to think of conventional classrooms during the pandemic.
Both the mode of instruction and the ways of interaction have undergone an enduring change. And educators faced many issues during the online transition. When tragedy struck a year ago, few people were ready to make the shift efficiently. But, even before the pandemic online learning was on the rise. More than 3 million students enrolled in online programs during 2019. And six million students were taking one online course as part of their degree.
Teachers are using online tools to connect with students. Recorded lectures, discussion forums, and apps such as zoom have replaced traditional classrooms and schools. Furthermore, the move to distance learning has highlighted the gaps in education. Many people are skeptical of this change in the mode of instruction. And undoubtedly, it is a daunting task to disregard years of tradition for something new. But, the future is online. This shift has brought an unexpected change in marketing strategies as well. Online marketers have a well-thought plan on the matter. With a mix of SEO tips and digital marketing techniques, educational institutes are trying to improve enrollment facilities. The latest digital marketing strategies are focusing on making online education even more popular.
Advantages of Online learning:
Online learning has many advantages. Not only does it make life easier for the students, but it also makes it easier to teach. We will consider both these types of benefits and reasons why online teaching is the way forward in education.
Advantages for the student:
- You can study whenever: The foremost advantage of online learning is you can read whenever you want. No matter if you are a night owl or a morning person, you can make your schedule. Research shows that everyone has distinctive sleep patterns. Therefore, everyone is efficient at different times. With an online class, you can study at your convenience and routine.
- You can study from anywhere: Perhaps one of the most significant differences in online classrooms is that you can read from anywhere. The only thing that you need is a computer or mobile device and a reliable internet connection. You can write paper online laying on your bed. Furthermore, you save on added expenses such as commuting to college and accommodation. And you do not have to venture out in inclement weather.
- You meet people from different countries: An online classroom is a truly global experience. You may have students coming together from all corners of the world to study the same subject. Therefore, you will have an enriched learning experience and meet with diverse people.
- You can become comfortable: Many people find large classrooms intimidating. With an online classroom, you have one degree of separation from others. Therefore, you will be more comfortable speaking in an online classroom. You can also discuss things with others on online forums and chat rooms. Furthermore, online courses make it easier for teachers to engage one on one with their students. Research suggests that 90 percent of online instructors find online classes better to connect with their students.
- You can work and study simultaneously: Students often have to choose between continuing education and earning a livelihood. Fortunately, online schooling makes things easier—a majority of people learning online work full time. Online education makes it easier to juggle a career with education. You can build your schedule and choose your hours.
- Hone your IT skills: Online classes use new technology. So, students access online tools such as voice calls and animations. Most of these online tools are relevant in the job sector as well. Therefore, learning these skills can make you a better employee.
- Less expensive: Quality education does not have to cost an arm and a leg. Most online courses are cheaper than traditional degrees. Since you do not invest in classroom materials, you will save on costs. The same is correct for transportation and accommodation. Online colleges also offer cheaper tuition rates as they do not have the same expenses.
- Variety of options: Online schools offer several programs. College students can learn anything online, from management to astronomy. So, there is something for everyone. You can also choose your level of education. Opt for a certificate, a diploma, or a degree.
- Learn at your pace: While we have mentioned flexibility, we did not say how you can choose your own pace. Not everyone studies at the same speed. Some people have better cognitive skills, while others do not. With online classes, students can set their own pace and choose their mode of learning. They can learn by watching a video, reading a paper, or listening to a lecture.
Advantages for teachers:
- Time and location: Teachers do not have to rush to a specific time or place. They can decide to teach from anywhere in the world. They can also choose their timing.
- Teaching opportunities: Unlike traditional classrooms, there are many various modes of education. Teachers can teach students through videos or audio. They can also connect with students from different backgrounds.
- Better student engagement: Online teachers state that students are more engaged in an online atmosphere. Non-traditional classrooms allow students to have some on one time with their teachers. It also increases student learning and improves their understanding.
Online teaching is the way forward in education. As the world continues to become more digitalized, we need to adapt to the education sector. Nearly 90 percent of students believe that an online classroom is better than traditional learning centers. However, every student is not well-suited to an online experience. For example, mature students find it challenging to adapt to a virtual classroom. Furthermore, children suffering from attention disorders might not respond well to online learning. Therefore, every student must decide on their own if the online school is the right choice.