The interest towards machine learning which is associated with Artificial Intelligence (AI) has always existed but has really picked up in the last decade or so. There is a lot of buzz around this particular field and for anyone looking at entering this field, there is no better time than the present. Once you are in the field then there is the whole rat race of finding a job that you become a part of. However, there are a few skills that you must possess to become a machine learning professional and climb the ladder of success in the industry.
- Probability and Statistics – characterization of probability and the techniques that are derived out of it form the crux of multiple machine learning algorithms. It is closely related to the field of statistics which provides various measures and analysis methods to build and validate models from various data sets. A lot of the machine learning algorithms are actually an extension of statistical modelling procedures.
- Applying Machine Learning Algorithms and Libraries – there are multiple machine learning certification available online for you to learn everything that goes into this skill set and be able to apply it effectively by using a suitable model. Apart from this, it is also important to know how to fit the data and understand how learning is affected by hyperparameters. You must also be well versed with the different advantages and disadvantages associated with different approaches and how to use them effectively. You can look at various machine learning tutorial that is available on the internet to get a better idea.
- Computer Science Fundamentals and Programming – this important skill for machine learning includes algorithms, data structures, computer architecture and computability and complexity. You must be able to know how to apply, implement, address or adapt the above mentioned at the time of programming. There are multiple coding competitions, practice problems and hackathons which will help you practise and improve upon these skills.
- Data Modelling and Evaluation – data modelling teaches you how to estimate the underlying structure of any given dataset and how you can find patters or predict properties of unseen circumstances. It helps you continuously evaluate how good or bad a given model is. Depending on what is the task given at hand you will have to select a relevant error/accuracy measure and then an evaluation strategy. There are some resulting errors which are used to tweak the model and so it becomes important to understand the measures even if it is just for applying standard algorithms.
- Software Engineering and System Design – a machine learning professionals’ ultimate deliverable or output is software. It may be a small component that fits into the larger scheme of services and products but it is a very important part of it. You should be able to understand how these different pieces work holistically, how you must communicate using them and then ultimately build relevant inferences for the component which others will depend upon. The best practises of a software engineer are important for quality, production, collaboration and maintainability. It helps to collate the entire ecosystem.
These are not the only skills that you need however these are some that you must have in order to find success in the industry. Everyday is a new day to learn and you must always be on the lookout to up your skills and add to them so that you become a better performer at the end of the day in your area of expertise and raise the bar higher and higher for the others.